episcopal see was moved from Old Uppsala to Uppsala in 1273, several farms
At the end of
the middle ages we know there were about 20 farms, making it the largest
village in Uppland. It was divided into two parts:
- The eastern part was owned by the
crown and was called the Church village or Old Uppsala village. The land was at
the heart of Uppsala öd, the royal estate. At the end of the middle ages the
village consisted of 12 farms of equal size, run by peasants. These farmers
were not yeomen; they did not own the land they farmed, but paid rent.
- The western part consisted of the
King’s Farm – a common name for four farms owned by the crown north of the
church, and three large farms west of the church (The Vicarage, Ovanberga and
Backa), donated to the episcopal see by royal decree in the 12th and
early 13th centuries.
Read on about why we are digging here and now