The church at Old Uppsala stands on a man-made
terrace previously containing several buildings.
of the church remains of buildings in the form of large boulders and postholes
have been found. Some have interpreted the remains as belonging to the temple
described by Adam of Bremen at the end of the 11th century.
It can also
be remains of a grand hall where the people met for ritual ceremonies.
Also it is
possible that a wooden church has stood on the site before the present stone
church was erected.
Today only half remains of the grand three-aisle cathedral which began to be built in
the mid-12th century. After a devastating fire in the 1240s the
transepts and nave were demolished, leaving only the central tower, chancel and
was demoted to parish church after 1273 when the episcopal see was moved to
present-day Uppsala, at the time known as Östra Aros.
Read on about Old Uppsala village